The temporomandibular joint is a joint connecting the jaw and the skull. When the joint is damaged or injured, it might cause a localized disorder known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome. TMJ allows smooth movement of jaws while you are talking or chewing. The treatment of TMJ disorder can be complicated since the joint is among the most complex joints in the human body. An infection on your TMJ means you will experience challenges in moving your jaws. Therefore, talking or chewing will be a problem. There are various causes of TMJ disorder, and they all attract different treatment methods.
What are the causes of TMJ disorder?
The TMJ syndrome can either develop over a period or manifest itself immediately in case the joint is damaged due to contact with a hard object.
Common TMJ causes include:
1. Physical injuries like accidents or being beaten with a hard object on the joint.
2. Chronic diseases such as arthritis can also lead to TMJ disorder since it damages the joint’s cartilages.
3. The movement of the disk erodes from the proper alignment and can also cause pains or TMJ problems.
4. Poorly performed dental surgery can also lead to TMJ problems.
However, in many cases, the TMJ disorder causes are not clear, and therefore the doctors may not be able to account for the origin. Researchers are suspecting that the TMJ disorder might be spreading genetically, but there is no evidence to prove this statement.
How do you know you are suffering from TMJ syndrome?
Just like any other sickness TMJ syndrome comes with various symptoms which you should watch out for and if you experience any symptoms visit our facility immediately. The TMJ signs include:
1. Tenderness or pains in your jaws while talking or chewing.
2. Aching pains inside or around your ears.
3. Locking of TMJ joints hence making it difficult for you to close or open your mouth or experience severe pains when moving the jaws.
4. Sometimes you start experiencing severe pains around the face since the joint connects various face tissues and cartilages.
5. Experiencing sharp pains in one or both temporomandibular joints.
TMJ joints can also produce click sounds when you are chewing or opening your mouth. However, when the pains are not limiting you to move your jaws, it might be something else, therefore consider seeing a doctor for guidance.
We offer the best TMJ treatment in Fort Worth since we have the best TMJ specialists in the region. The doctors will examine you upon arrival at our facility then recommend the best treatment procedure. Sometimes a surgery might be required to correct the TMJ disorder. The treatment method depends on the cause of the problem. If the problem is caused by grinding your teeth, a mouth guard might be recommended by the doctor. For the TMJ disorders that seem not to be serious, our doctors will also provide you with the best treatment. Sometimes drug prescriptions can help ease the pains if the condition is not worse. However, when you start experiencing one of the mentioned symptoms call us immediately at (817) 731-9291 for help.
Alternatively, you can come to our facility and meet our TMJ experts.